Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DSLR Shooting Lessons

So I just found out today that my approach to filming with my Sony a33 has not been exactly intelligent.  I've been going over footage taken from a wedding this weekend and noticed quite a lot of noise and problems with my white balance.  A little depressing after the fact.  So I was upset and disapointed in myself by the quality I had produced and knew it couldn't be the camera.  The sensor is an Exmor APS HD CMOS, and the photos I get look fantastic.  So what's my problem in producing crap footage?  The answer came when I began researching camcorders.

This past weekend was a big learning experience for me.  I realize that I need an extra camcorder to in order to record for extended periods of time, such as a wedding ceremony.  For the event I borrowed my dad's Canon camcorder which was a big help because my a33 overheated probably three times durring the ceremony.  So in researching camcorders I came across shutter speed.  What?  I guess this is the big doofus within, but I had no idea about shutterspeed for camcorders.  I just assumed a shutter was a negated property and that all I ought to focus on were aperture and iso.  Since I've been filming with my camera I've only ever filmed in aperture priority mode.  This is the mode I generally take my pictures with.  So I took my confusion to an expert to be sorted out.

I talked to my friend Ernie who started up a video production business that films music videos.  He mostly uses a 5d and 7d.  He explained the purpose of shutterspeed in relation to video cameras.  I can't exactly relay the entire lesson because I've learned in images and can't exactly put it all to words for you. However a quick trip to wikipedia or around google will solve the issue.  What I took away from it is that the shutter speed is open half the time you are filming.  So if you were to film at 24fps you would use a shutter speed of 1/48th sec.  The a33 only does 1080i which is about 29.7 fps so I need to use a shutterspeed of 1/60th sec.  Which means I need to start shooting in full manual mode, lock my shutterspeed at 1/60, then adjust my iso and aperture as needed.  I also learned from this weekend that any iso setting on my camera above 1600 creates terrible artifacts.

Well, live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment