Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Recent DIY: Light and Sound

My Tascam dr07 mark II came in the mail this week.  Extremely stoked about this little guy.  I love the ability to choose between A/B and X/Y mic positions.  But from watching product tests on Youtube (did I mention how awesome that site is??) it was made very clear that I would need a wind sock.  Now, at a bare minimum a windscreen will cost  you $20.  I don't know about you, but I enjoy having $20.  I also enjoy surprising myself by my creative aptitude, so I decided to sew together my own.  If needed I can provide plans for you if you wish to do this as well.  My mom is a big quilter (and no, she didn't teach me to sew, I learned from youtube) and had this great fur lying around.  I sewed a sleeve out of it and then stitched a rubber band at the bottom to provide tension and grip.  Here's what a free deadcat windscreen looks like...
 I have yet to officially test it, but I did put my fingers in there and blow on it and couldn't feel any air leaking through.  I'll post a test as soon as I can.

My next thought was since that went so well, I might as well continue and make a light reflector.  So I constructed this out of gold fabric glued and then stapled for good measure to cardboard.  The piece of cardboard I used was the back of a large calendar.  Another $0 project for something that would cost $16.

No comments:

Post a Comment