Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Better than Professional Grade


We mainly use Canon XH-A1's at Davidson College.  This is a professional grade hdv camera that costs around $2800.  The media department recently went tapeless and ordered harddrives for the cameras.  So now with the harddives we've noticed deeper color saturation and contrast in the picture.  I just recently picked up the GH2 at around $800 for the body.  The lens I'm using is a 50mm Rokkor-X 1.4 that I grabbed off ebay for $55.

How this comparison came about was I got frustrated with the XH-A1.  There are just way too many switches and menus you have to go through just to plug in an external microphone.  Some days it works for me.  Other times I have no clue why I can't get the microphone to work and I have to use the onboard mic.  But with the Lumix, audio is simple; you plug the microphone into the camera.  So I recorded an interview with my camera and upon reviewing the footage was blown away by the difference of quality produced by a consumer camera compared with a professional camcorder.

I suggest watching the video at 1080 and pay attention to the level of detail in the hair.  The sharpness and clarity of detail of the Lumix far exceeds that of the XH-A1.  Really it's not fair to compare them.  I just find it slightly amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment