Friday, September 23, 2011

Lens Review: Toyo Optics 12.5-75mm 1.8 TV Zoom Lens


So I tested out the Toyo Optics 12.5-75mm f1.8 macro zoom today.  After three arduous days of machining I finally filed it down to fit my adapter and focus to infinity.  I have to say that I think I found a new favorite lens.  It severely vignettes, covers about 40-50% of the sensor, so the ex tele function is mandatory.  However, at f1.8 all the way through, this is not so much a problem (ex tele funciton tends to generate grain at high iso levels).  This lens creates beautiful soft bokeh.  It's incredibly smooth.  From behind the camera I notice amazing contrast and color saturation.  It can focus on objects three to four feet away, which makes it great for rack focusing between subjects.  The zoom, focus, and aperture rings are really smooth.  It catches the aperture at each stop with a click, which is nice, though not as satisfying as my Rokkor 50mm.  It actually has an incredible macro mode.  I've used a zoom/macro lens before and wasn't too impressed with the macro capabilities and expected similar results.  however the range in macro mode is very impressive.  It can focus on objects at least a foot away from and all the way up to the edge of the lens itself.  The depth of field is quite shallow, maybe a centimeter or less.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there... I have two of those lenses and I'm trying to mount it on sony alpha. Would you please tell-me what mount type is that on thhe lens? its a screw type

    ReplyDelete