Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lumix Lens Test

Hey All,
Just recently purchased the Panasonic Lumix GH2!  Why did I buy a new camera when I just recently bought the Sony a33?  And why move to a micro 4/3 system?

To address the first question, after filming three weddings I realized I need a camera that can do two things, record for an extended period of time and not overheat.  Yet I didn't want to make any sacrifice in image quality.  I began looking at the VG10 by sony, since I already have bought in to the minolta lens system.  However, during my research I found a video comparisson between the vg10 and the Panasonic Lumix GH2 in terms of aliasing and moire.  The GH2 blew the VG10 out of the water.  Add in the factor that the Lumix is anywhere from $500-$1000 cheaper than the Handycam, there was no question what camera I was to buy.

So I said farewell to the APS-C censor and hello to micro four thirds.  Since I work at a college as a contract employee and my salary is around the poverty line, I am always looking to save what I can where I can.  When I purchased the sony in the summer a main factor in this decision was due to the cheaper minolta lenses that were compatible with the alpha mount.  Throughout my research of Micro Four Thirds cameras I was led to discover the benefits of using c-mount lenses.  These lenses are small and inexpensive, designed to be used on cctv (security) cameras and old cine 16mm film cameras.  So why are they important?  Because they're very fast and have a low price point.  If you're smart about it, you may not even spend $100 per lens.  Yet there are a couple downsides to the lenses.  They are not designed to cover a micro four thirds sensor, so you can expect problems of vignetting and fringing near the edges.  How much depends on the lens.

So I have made a video testing out three of my new c-mount lenses on my GH2.  I recorded at 24fps, shutter speed at 50.  The lenses I used are:
Pentax 25mm 1.4
Tamron 12.5-50mm 2
Egleet 12mm 1.2



Overall I'm extremely pleased with my decision to purchase the Pentax 25mm 1.4.  It's quickly becoming my favorite lens.  Covers over 90% of the sensor and is extremely sharp.  Love the contrast and colors.  The aperture and focus rings are just extremely smooth.  I was able to pick it up at bhphotovideo.com for only $90.

No comments:

Post a Comment