Sunday, November 13, 2011

HDR Tests

Yeah this is how I spend my weekends.  I test approaches to color grading with my footage.  I came across a discussion on the GH2 user group blog on vimeo on how to create HDR video.  HDR stands for High Dynamic Range.  Basically it means retaining greater detail in you highlights and shadow areas.  They had found an approach wherein you duplicate the original video layer and stack it adding various blend modes and filters.

With the first video I attempted the process as they suggested.  I am using FCPX so my process is a bit different.
Duplicate the video layer.  Change the duplicate blend mode to overlay and invert the layer using a negative filter.  Desaturate the layer all the way down.  And to make the effect a bit subtle I changed the opacity to 53%.
Duplicate original layer again and stack.  Duplicate blend mode is Linear Burn, opacity at 85.5%.


I wasn't extremely pleased with my results so decided to give this some more thought.  The next test I was able to pull out the shadows and highlights yet the subject is still blown out and too soft.  The process isn't worth going over because it was not successful in creating the look I'm after.  However, with each new video I am learning more about the particular ways blend modes affect the overal image.


This last video I was able to create results very close to what I'm after.  Still not entirely there but I am on the right track now.  Here is the process:
Duplicate original layer.  Set blend mode to linear burn, opacity at 26%.  Then underexpose the image to -22%.
The purpose of underexposing was to get an even mid tone across the face.
Duplicate original layer again and stack. Set blend mode to Multiply, opacity at 34%.  I then completely desaturated the top layer.  Can't recall why I thought this was necessary, just did it.
Then you nest these clips into a single clip.  In FCP7 this was called a nested sequence and in FCPX it's called a compound clip.
I then color corrected the clip using the histogram and vectorscope as guides.  I saturated the image and crushed the blacks.  Then I added a sharpen filter.
NOTE: All levels are approximations that I eyed and are subject to change for specific footage being used.

No comments:

Post a Comment