Friday, October 14, 2011

Lumix 14mm 2.5


It was a sad day last week when my Computar 12.5mm 1.3 decided to call it quits.  It was my poor machining which did it in.  I had glued it together but the job came apart.  When I reglued it together, something went wrong and it would no longer focus to infinity.  I was quite upset.  The lens was very fast and sharp and it will be dearly missed.  However, had that not happened I wouldn't have been able to purchase the Lumix 14mm 2.5 pancake lens for over $100 off the street price.  Thank you ebay!

The lens came today and I brought it out to take some test shots around campus.  It's a good wide angle lens.  Not as wide as the computar, but it's specifically designed for my camera and covers the entire sensor: two main characteristics to its advantage.  The build quality is plastic and it's extremely light.  It's also really small.  Easily fits into my shirt pocket.  The focus ring is smooth yet firm.  There's enough resistance to achieve some solid rack focusing.  I am yet to test its autofocus abilities as I am so used to doing everything manually now.

Two things I was impressed with was the depth of field you're able to achieve wide open.  It's pretty narrow.  And it focuses very close to subjects.  I think the closest focal distance is about 5 or 6 inches from the front of the lens.  It could almost be a wide macro.  The bokeh is smooth and circular.  And it's really sharp!









No comments:

Post a Comment