Monday, October 10, 2011

What a Hack!

So I finally did it.  After three days of downloading programs I successfully hacked my GH2.  What did this entail?  Well in order to use the ptools I needed to be able to run a windows program on my mac.  To do that I needed Wine.  To install wine I needed to install Xcode.  To install Xcode I had to upgrade my OS to Lion.  So it was $30 to upgrade my OS, which I'm not too jazzed about.  Since upgrading to Lion my computer is actually running slower and has frozen on me twice.  Hasn't even been a full week yet.  Total weaksauce.  Anyway, on top of all this frustration and program gathering, in order to install wine and the ptools I had to learn code and manually operate my computer.  Wow, what a process.  YET: totally worth it.  I now have the most recent version of Vitaly's hack on my camera.  What does this mean?  Well instead of recording at 24mbps at 24p and 17mbps at 60i and 60p my camera is now recording at 42mbps and 32mbps.  I now have a 5dmkii rival for a third of the cost!  I'm extremely stoked.

Here's a link to a video at my vimeo account of some hacked footage taken at a weiner dog race this weekend.  As I was leaving breakfast I saw a few people walking dachshunds around downtown Mooresville.  quite a unique site for the area... or really anywhere in Mooresville.  Turns out they were having races.  I ran home and grabbed my camera to capture the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment